Friday, May 7, 2010

Maine/Vermont Landscape

"Fishing in an Imaginary Landscape" (16"X20", Oil on Canvas, $550)

I did this a few weeks ago, after a layoff from painting to get this blog (and my flickr site) up and going. I felt like I needed something to inspire me to get back into painting, and so I tried thinking about my favorite places and what it would be like to be there. I also felt that I wanted to try a bit of a landscape, since I had seen some nice ones in an art magazine. I suppose I was a little anxious to get back into painting, since I had neglected it for a while. Now I've been painting and drawing so much that I've neglected the blog and flickr site! It's always something.
I started blocking in the shapes and shadow areas, to get started, and came out with the beginnings of this piece. It's an imaginary landscape that combines my feelings about Maine, where I've spent many wonderful vacations over the years with Tina, and Vermont, since I've also had some great and natural times there. It's not really about the fishing, since I don't really fish. It's more about the relaxing feeling that comes from having the time to fish; to spend the whole day essentially sitting and daydreaming while patiently waiting for something to happen, under a tree by a lake.
Since doing this one, I've done a series of paintings that focus on my times in Vermont, to go along with the series that I've already posted about my times in Maine. I have about five (including this one) that I'll post here as soon as I can, over the next few days.
Most of the Vermont images are connected to Autumn, since Vermont makes me think of Fall, while Maine makes me think of Summer. These are just personal associations. Please feel free to comment on your own associations with either of these vacation paradises.

No comments:

Post a Comment