Thursday, May 6, 2010

North End, Boston - Prince St. Evening

"Autumn Reflections - Prince Street, North End" (18"X14", Oil on Canvas, $550)

This painting is the re-paint that I mentioned in a much earlier post. It was originally 20"X16", and there weren't any reflections of the sunny side of the street in these shady-side windows. I really like the addition of the reflections, as they make the picture really pop.
The reason I was inspired to do it was that I was out for a walk one evening and noticed the bright, warm colors that were showing up in the small glass panes of 58 Prince Street, and suddenly had a brainwave of how to jazz up this smaller version of one of my favorite paintings. I took some reference photos with my ever-present camera and ran home to print them out.
I always love adding light to a painting, and that's one of the great things about oil paints and the principles of oil painting in the first place: you put the light in last, over the shadows (which you block in first) and the mid-tones. It's never too late to add light. It adds dimension and visual interest, as well as usually punching up the focal points of your picture.
Take a look at the older post of the original, larger painting and see if you don't agree that the addition of the reflections, as well as the sunset light on the tiny triangle of bricks, along with the copper, at the top of the scene makes this a whole new and interesting view of the lovely old tenements in the North End.

No comments:

Post a Comment