Thursday, December 31, 2009

North End, Boston - Copper Patina

"Corner of Prince and Salem - North End" (20"X16", Oil on Canvas, $650)

This is another variation on a favorite North End view. This is essentially a close-up of the patina'ed copper column above the entrance of Dino's Diner on the corner of Prince and Salem streets. The cloudless summer sky allows the sun to fall brightly and fully from right to left. This brings out the angularity of this corner element while also throwing plenty of reflected light on the shadow side from the sunlit buildings across the street, reflected in the lower windows.
I like focusing on edited aspects of the buildings sometimes, and I intend to do more like this in the future. It allows me to paint my favorite elements larger and to fill the canvas with wider strokes of color. This way I can bring out the details while not getting fussy about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment