Thursday, December 31, 2009

North End, Boston - Old North Church

"Sunset Clouds over Salem and Sheafe - North End" (16"X20", Oil on Canvas, $650)

This is another view of the Old North Church, this time from lower on Salem Street, near the corner of Sheafe Street, and across from the North Bennett Street School. The school is famous for its excellent training in fine arts and crafts. It also looked quite beautiful with the abstract shadow-shapes of the buildings across the street that were cast on it as the sun set during the 'Golden Hour'.
The leggy purple pansies in the window boxes on the left and the sapling growing suckers in the distance lets the viewer know that it's late summer in the North End.
The brickwork and the dormer windows of the school are classic turn-of-the-century flourishes that add weight and drama to the building and the painting.

2 comments:

  1. This is now one of my faves too. Amazing, I just really saw it for the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Drum-
    Thanks for taking a look. This is pretty deep into the past - I hope you took a look at the new stuff and what-not. I'll check my email to see if you're really who I think you is. Excuse me; 'am'.

    ReplyDelete