Thursday, December 31, 2009

North End, Boston - Sal's Lunch

"Sal's Lunch on Thacher Court - North End" (24"X18", Oil on Canvas, $750)

This is one of my paintings that has been noticed the most and which I feel has the neighborhood feeling that I go for whenever I paint the North End. The raking sunlight through the fire escapes gives me a feeling of evening coming. The children and adults on the street level almost show how big this building really is. The side in shadow extends the length of the block and occupies all of Thacher Court. The "smaller" Sal's Lunch side fronts onto Thacher Street, which also hosts the famous Pizzeria Regina further up.
When the owner of Sal's Lunch (the lady in the doorway) recently saw the painting at a show I was part of in Paul Revere Park, she wanted me to give her the painting, since it was of her building. She looked at the rack I had of matted prints and note cards featuring the image and she said, "'Ey! You give-a me this painting since-a you make-a money off-a my building!" She was really only teasing (I think), but I should have offered her a free matted print in exchange for a couple chicken parm subs (still my standard favorite sub).

No comments:

Post a Comment