Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Interior Watercolor Still Life

"In the Apartment with Stained Glass and Candles" (14"X11", Watercolor, $85)

This was one of the homework pieces that I talked about earlier. This was done in my living room in the North End while sitting on my couch. Lots of tiny details were left out to simplify the composition, but not too much has changed. New barstools, a little table by the window, and the stained glass has been moved to a window further to the left. That's about it for actual layout changes.
In this picture I tried to express a line of light that makes its way to the window, the picture's light source. I like the looseness of the painting and the broken borders; where the kitchen island light and the antique chair brush the edges. The dim lighting cuts down on the color saturation and the contrast in the picture, both of which would both normally help define shapes and guide the eye through the painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment