Sunday, February 14, 2010

Oil Portrait of a Seated Man

"Seated Skinny Man in Painting Class" (20"X20" Oil on Canvas, $300)

This was one of my first efforts at painting the figure. I think I did pretty well, but there's lots of things I'd do differently now. I suppose I could change this one, but I prefer to let old paintings be what they are and move on. Otherwise, I'd be forever niggling about with all my paintings and never get anything 'done'.
I did this in an Adult Ed Life Painting course given at the place where I went to high school: Brookline High. I liked the class (I took it many times to get the practice with painting figures) when it was taught by David Penna, but not so much when he moved away and other instructors took over. David had lots of good advice to give and made me really aware of my now-favorite artist: John Singer Sargent.
One of the elements I like most about this picture is the flowing backdrop. I like painting folds in fabric and I think it adds a lot to this composition.

No comments:

Post a Comment