Thursday, February 4, 2010

Watercolor - Still Life with Silver Goblet

"Watercolor with Goblet, Bowl and Stick" (14"X11", Watercolor, $85)

This was a homework setup which you can kind of tell by the fact that the light is so directional rather than being more diffuse from the overhead in-class lighting. The goblet is just a trinket (not silver) but I wanted to try painting the reflective metallic surface. The same as with painting clear glass, what you don't paint is as important as what you do. The colors of the surrounding objects reflected in the metal make the silver look the way it does (I think that black blot on the front of the goblet is me).
I like the wash-y watercolor technique in this one. The colors change and fade through the effect of the water, and the layered thin washes show through each other, creating different color effects. The broken border appears again in this picture on every side. I only wish I'd taken more time to render the fabric. Maybe next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment