Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Watercolor - Still Life with Bottles

"Bottles on the Table - Watercolor Class" (Watercolor, 14"X11", $100)

I took a class in watercolor a couple years ago and I did lots of in-class work and lots of 'homework' pieces, to drill the points of each class deeper into my head. I've learned and then forgotten more information in my art classes than I care to think about. I always try to do as much on my own between classes (these are Adult Ed classes, by the way) so that the lessons don't just evaporate. I should probably also take notes.
In this picture, painting glass was the object; some translucent and some clear, to keep it interesting. I'd always heard that what makes glass look glossy is the juxtaposition of sharply contrasting elements, even if it's just reflections. I've also heard that what you leave out when you paint clear glass is just as important as what you actually render. I tried to do both things in this painting.
You can see the wood-molding chair rail that goes around the room, a leftover from the times when Brookline High School was originally built in the late 1800's. Also, the angles of the formica tables that make it easy to form the tables into a circle - a leftover from the education reforms of the late 1960's.

No comments:

Post a Comment