Sunday, February 21, 2010

Seated Blonde Woman

"Seated Blonde Woman in Life Painting Class" (20"X16", Oil on Canvas, $300)

This is from the Life Painting Class that I mentioned in previous posts and that I got so much out of. This was a one session pose and I was able to get all the information I wanted to end up with an expressive work. The wall and hanging backdrop shows itself in the upper right corner, as I'm at the same position in the class as I was when I was painting the "Bella Italiana" picture that I put up last time.
I like the bright light coming in from the right, lighting up the near side of the model and making it easier to express the depth. In fact, I think the spotlight was just off to my right, putting her face in shadow and lighting up her shoulder.
At the second session, I did another start, but this one came out better, so I painted over other. Since I know I can only get a certain amount done at these classes I choose to make as many starts as I can because that's where the groundwork is laid. "Well begun is half done", I say.

No comments:

Post a Comment