Friday, January 29, 2010

Still Life with Plaster Bust

"Head of Athena in Black and White" (16"X12", Oil on Canvas, $300)

When I was doing the three plaster bust portraits in color (mentioned in the last post) as homework for my painting class, I was doing this black-and-white study in class. It felt freeing to paint this way, but I was anxious to apply it to color, so I did.
I did pretty well with this painting. Luckily, the bust itself was painted this shade of light gray and was set against a darker gray background on a gray table so as not to be confusing. In that way, this is actually a full-color painting!
I really loved taking painting classes, but the cost was prohibitive. I plan to take more classes as soon as I have more money for such pursuits.
I learned an awful lot in that class, most of which makes itself seen in this picture. It's all subtle stuff, but it adds up to my having learned something important at each session which results in being able to render things more thoughtfully and quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment