Monday, January 4, 2010

Back Bay, Boston - Commonwealth Ave.

"Comm. Ave Roofline in the Afternoon Sun" (14"X18", Oil on Canvas, SOLD)

I sold this painting at one of the Boston Arts Festivals that I've done in Christopher Columbus Park. The woman who bought it got it for her husband's birthday. She had me come to Faneuil Hall Marketplace near the park after the festival was over to make the sale so that she could keep it a secret. They had apparently lived on Commonwealth Ave earlier in their careers and had fond memories of the area. I bet! I think it would be quite a nice place to live, either in one of these types of homes, or even to be surrounded by them.
The roofline of this one caught my eye for obvious reasons. Its slate roof shingles, peaked brownstone dormers, multi-chimneys, and especially the use of copper to make the roof drains and the beautiful bowed reading room(?) above the big curved picture windows of the family room(?) below it make this home a true standout. I also like the use of the little iron picket fence around the false balcony of the reading room as well as the simpler version on the roof. It gives the building a sort of Addams Family vibe. God bless the Victorians of Boston!
I also liked the way the afternoon sun lit up the side and cast angled shadows along the front. The building next to it on the left also casts a shadow that climbs up the bricks on the side and throws bushes into shadow. The house is surrounded by plants, as seen by the large tree on the right, which actually is at the curb with the sidewalk between.
I plan to paint more of the Back Bay, since I have so many paintings of the beautiful 'tenements' of the North End (see my earlier posts). For a long time I felt that the buildings of this area had plenty of attention already, but they're clearly too beautiful to be ignored.

No comments:

Post a Comment