Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Still Life with Bananas, Apples and Limes

"Bananas, Apples and Limes" (11"X14", Oil on Canvas, $325)

I wanted to put a few elements into this composition, so as to be able to put some things in front of other things. I kept the objects 'floating in space', but massed the shadows and gave them some direction so they wouldn't seem rootless.
This painting and another small one flank the small gas fireplace that Tina and I have in our living room. I like them both, but I'd also like to try these subjects again. I like the subject matter and I like the colors. I also like the shadow shapes and how they lose a bit of sharpness as they get further from the objects. This one would be particularly nice in an entry way or a kitchen. I think that in the breakfast nook or on the patio would also be ideal. For now I have to keep it flanking the fireplace since our apartment is full of stuff and we don't have any of those other spaces.

No comments:

Post a Comment