Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Still Life with Yellow Peppers

"Four Yellow Peppers on a Field of Siena" (20"X16", Oil on Canvas, $450)

Four views can be just as much fun as nine views. In the previous group of posts I showed a few of my 3X3 compositions, the next bunch will be 2X2. This was the first one and is a little bigger than the full set of pepper paintings That I'll post next.
I like the lost edges that surround the pepper, knocking little bits of definition from the outlines at various spots all around the peppers. Lost edges are important to create an atmospheric feeling in a painting. I really enjoy looking at objects and seeing where I'd put a lost edge if I were doing a painting at that moment.
Contrast is also important for bringing certain elements forward and pushing others into the background. It's fun to play with such relationships and see what the effect will be when the brush is lifted from the canvas. A thinly painted and wet background is pretty ideal for doing all the push/pull, lost/found stuff that this painting takes advantage of.

No comments:

Post a Comment