Monday, January 4, 2010

Italy and Sicily - Boats on the Beach

"Preparing the Boat on the Beach in Castellammare, Sicily" (11"X14", Oil on Canvas, $325)

Another painting from Castellammare, where fishing is still a way of life. This tiny little boat is probably used to gather sea urchins, but who knows? The reason I believe it's for urchin fishing is because urchins grow live in shallow water, but it has to be cold, like the water found alongside big rocks and ocean cliffs. When the tide is low, tiny boats like this can get in close to the rocks and gather the urchins, at least that's my reasoning. I bet he can even wheel his boat to the water's edge to launch it all by himself, or with the help of just one helper. I think this guy was fixing the gasket around his front window while wearing his black tracksuit. The colors on the boats are a common combination and they look good on the pale teal blue water.
The coast in the background wraps around the bay and forms a natural breakwater which makes it more like a calm lagoon. The large building on the end is the actual ancient Castello ("fort") for which the town is named - "Fort on the water". The restaurants and businesses on the waterfront and the apartments built into the hillside above form a typical Sicilian scene and are what I think most people picture when they imagine a tiny Italian fishing village. I found the town to be wonderful and rustic, combined with being picturesque and romantic.
I had the opportunity to buy a couple sea urchins from a street vendor, fresh from his boat and straight from his wooden wheelbarrow. I didn't buy any because I was squeamish and I'm an idiot. I've since learned that once opened up they look like sections of a clementine inside. They're eaten raw and they apparently have a delicate, salty taste, like eating a little of the ocean itself. If I ever get back to Castellammare, I won't pass up the opportunity to eat Sicilian sea urchin again.

No comments:

Post a Comment