Sunday, January 10, 2010

Watercolor - Lake Sebago, Maine

"View from the Porch - Lake Sebago, Maine" (Watercolor, 8"X12", $100)

In an earlier post about Maine, I talked about the end of the day, when the sun would sparkle off the lake and I'd be on the screened-in porch, sipping wine and eating snacks. This is it. The picture is framed at the bottom and on the right by the screened window. The sparkles on the lake take tiny bites out of the pine tree trunks in the way. The low blueberry bushes are visible on the left and the mountains are seen faintly in the background. The mosses and patchy grass make patterns on the ground while the pump house for the cabins makes an appearance down by the water.
I can really feel the experience that I talked about at length in my first Maine post, "The Diving Float on Shingle Cove". That was for an oil painting, but I really enjoy the speed and vitality of doing watercolors in Maine. I also like the 'watercolor technique' in this picture, which makes the ground blend richly with browns and greens, while I used the edge of a wax candle to mask out the 'bites' of light up and down the tree trunks and through the overhanging branches.
I look forward to having more real experiences in Maine that make me feel the way this picture makes me virtually experience. I'm glad that I've taken the time to record on paper the things around me and to have taken the time on this blog to remember those things. I hope you can feel some of the same things and that you'll leave a comment below. Thanks for your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment