Saturday, January 2, 2010

North End, Boston - Prado Fountain

"Visitors to the Prado Fountain - North End" (14"X18", Oil on Canvas, SOLD)

This painting was another of my very first ones. The photo of it isn't very good, as it was taken with my old camera, but I like it anyway. It actually went to an auction to raise money for the care and maintenance of the Rose Kennedy rose garden in Christopher Columbus Park. I think it made about $350 for the cause.
I like all the figures in the painting and how they surround the fountain (which is way out of scale in this early work - It's actually much bigger) creating a foreground and middle ground of interest for the viewer. The ivy-capped brick wall is visible in the background, with a few of its bronze memorial plaques. The small triangular plantings are also visible on the left and right. I realized that the placement of the fountain on the canvas was a little odd (along with the off-kilter scale) after I had finished the painting, but I guess that's part of the learning curve. At least someone else liked it enough to bid on it at the auction.
I love the Prado and have made other paintings of the fountain which always get a great response at every show I do. The historic aspect of the surroundings (the iconic Paul Revere statue at the front of the park and the Old North Church at the back) make it a real destination for tourists. The dappled sunlight and the bright fountain. along with the many stone benches to relax on make it a calming destination for anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment