Thursday, January 21, 2010

Still Life with Lemon Slices Painting

"Tabletop with Lemon Slices on a Dish" (12"X12", Oil on Canvas, SOLD)

This is another composition using the objects that surround me, this time in my old bedroom. The 'pin box' in the background (with the little porcelain handles) and the small wood box in the middle foreground both once belonged to my grandmother and date from before the Civil War. I was glad to have them as a legacy after she passed.
I like the combination of blue and brown, so this set up came pretty naturally to my eye. The yellow of the lemon slices find their harmony in some of the highlights on the wooden objects, like the arched top of the mirror against the wall in the upper left corner.
I also like the way the cast shadow of the small cobalt blue glass bowl shows the translucency of the bowl, making the shadow itself blue.

No comments:

Post a Comment