Friday, January 29, 2010

Still Life with Onions and Limes

"Red Onions and Green Limes" (11"X14, Oil on Canvas, SOLD)

Here's another example of my common approach to still life painting. Divide the canvas in to quadrants and do four setups that all ow me to explore the foreground/background dynamics and various overlapping schemes. As in earlier posts, this shows the objects kind of 'floating' on a monochrome background, but with massed shadows tying them to the 'surface', which gives the information needed to see that they're being seen from a slightly higher vantage point.
I like the combination of the colors, especially since I know that red and green are complimentary colors. I also like to think about what I'd like to make with these ingredients. I think I mentioned in an earlier post that chicken would be a good vehicle for garlic and limes. Red onion and limes would be another candidate for a chicken recipe. If you know of one, leave a comment that tells me about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment