Thursday, January 21, 2010

Still Life with Apples

"Nine Views of an Apple in the Orange Dish" (24"X24", Oil on Canvas, SOLD)

Again with the orange dish. This time I used it as a background for an apple, which I kept in the same position for three renditions while moving it around the dish a little. The colors are brighter than seen here, but I couldn't re-shoot it since I don't own it anymore. I like the concept of the composition and I've used it a few times, as you may notice later.
The apples here look pretty juicy, and the paint is thickly applied. I happen to know that the buyer put it in a dining room, so my food-centric approach to still life painting was borne out here.
Painting simple shapes, like oranges and limes is a good way to simplify your approach to painting, at least according to my favorite painting instructor. I've done that here, but the apple shape is a little more involved. I look forward to doing apple paintings again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment