Thursday, January 21, 2010

Still Life with Bowl and Pitchers

"Tabletop with White Pitchers and Cobalt Bowl" (16"X12", Oil on Canvas, $450)

These white porcelain pitchers are in my studio, as well as the antique cinnamon shaker and the inlaid wooden horse dish. There's another wooden dish inlaid with ducks, but I like the horse one. They're all antiques and they belonged to my grandmother. The 'new' element is the cobalt blue dish which is normally in my living room. I like painting ellipses and especially blue glass ones. The red paisley-patterned bedspread (used as a backdrop) seen here makes a few appearances in other paintings that I'll post later.
I like the sense of calm that comes from the use of the old wooden and porcelain objects, and the blue object, which is classically calming. I also like horses.

No comments:

Post a Comment