Monday, January 4, 2010

Italy and Sicily - Architecture

"Abandoned Palazzo Balcony in Ortygia, Sicily" (20"X16", Oil on Canvas, $700)

This is one of my favorite paintings, especially of the ones I've done in Italy and Sicily. It was done after taking a walk on the tiny 'island' off the southeast corner of Sicily: Ortygia. I put island in quotes because Ortygia is only a short walk across a little bridge away from Sicily, but it is surrounded by water, which makes it an island. Ortygia is also quite beautiful, although not very populated. Most of it seems to be in a state of rehab, which includes the street where this stunning palazzo and its gorgeous stone balcony was. I find ruins to be the most romantic thing in the world, especially ruins of once-beautiful buildings. I always imagine the high-style lives and amazing parties that once took place in them - and the mysterious circumstances that brought the people to abandon those lives and homes. This place really made me think, and still does. The tall doors opening on to this balcony were broken and hanging open, like so many others along the street. I'd have loved to have gotten into this palazzo (literally translated: "palace", but it's mostly a figure of speech - no royalty here) to see what the interior looked like. The plastered up windows next to the dilapidated heavy wooden entry gave no clue as to what might be seen if I could only explore.
The bright light of the mediterranean is coming in at a very shallow angle, almost directly overhead, and shows the exposed small stones where the stucco has worn away. The underside of the balcony is flooded with reflected light, while the beautiful wrought-iron railings above are exposed to the sun, throwing them into high contrast. The cloudless blue sky shows in the upper corner and complements the purple/blue shadow/light seen all through the painting.
I'd love to go back to Italy (I've been four times) and I'll probably go back to Sicily. To imagine, to wonder, to romanticize and to ultimately paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment