Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Sunflower Still Life Oil Painting

"Single Sunflower in a Striped Vase" (14"X11", Oil on Canvas, SOLD)

This small painting was done with items I had lying around the studio. I liked the look of the setup in the corner I had constructed and the warm elements played well off the cool ones. The orange enamel dish is a favorite item of mine, and it makes an appearance in a few of my still life paintings.
I learned that it's important to have some elements overlapping in a still life setup, and to have a point of view that looks down on the grouping. I find that generally works well, and the more interesting the viewpoint the better.

5 comments:

  1. Michael, I love this still life and many of your other paintings. You are such a creative and productive artist! Look forward to seeing more of your work!

    -Mindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Mindy-
    Thanks so much for taking a look and for leaving the comment! I look forward to seeing you again at the MFA. You always liven up the evening with your smile and have something nice to say. - Michael Dean

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Michael,
    These paintings are absolutely incredible! Each one has such a creative flair...the colors and images just come to life!!!

    You truly have a gift and I thank you for sharing your terrific talent with us!

    I loved the beautiful city scenes in Italy, Maine, and Boston. Also, the pictures of the pets were truly remarkable!

    I will have to order some Christmas cards from you, as the city scenes are awesome!

    Thank you for providing the background and commmentary with each creation, as it helps define the work and gives us a great perspective on its origin.

    Keep up the great work! I am looking forward to seeing more!

    Best to you,
    Keith Weiss
    Alexandria, Louisiana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Keith-
    Thanks for commenting all the way from Louisiana! I'm glad that you like the city scenes as they're the most fun to paint. The pet portraits are gratifying as well, since the owners are so incredibly happy when they get them! (the animals don't really care).
    It's also nice to read that you like some of the work enough to plan on ordering some cards. I'll be posting more artwork soon, so keep looking for more stuff you like! - Michael Dean

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Michael,
    No problem, Looking forward to seeing more of your artwork, soon! There are so many cool images here...Great job!!!

    Yes, I know I will have some awesome Christmas cards to send out this year!

    Best to you from out here in Louisiana,
    Keith Weiss

    ReplyDelete