Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Still Life with Pears

"Nine Pears in the Orange Dish" (20"X20", Oil on Canvas, $650)

This is another of my 'nine' series (or 3X3, if you like) of foods paintings for interiors like kitchens or dining rooms. I had a good time painting this one and I liked applying the thick paint that makes the dish so bright. The thick paint made lighting the canvas difficult for this photo, as the glare was a chronic problem.
The concept of putting the different views left to right and the same section of the dish top to bottom helped unify the composition. This layout and colors look more eye-catching in person and I enjoy seeing the response of people at shows when they see it for the first time. I plan to do more of these square (or 'cubed') canvases, perhaps using onions or green apples as my subject. I guess I just like painting foods.

No comments:

Post a Comment